History

Maximilianstrasse was designed in 1850 and named after King Maximilian II. Today, it is surrounded by Munich’s cultural landmarks and home to luxury retail and commercial activity.

Maximilianstrasse is one of Munich’s four royal avenues. It starts at Max-Joseph-Platz, where the Residenz and the National Theatre are situated, and runs from west to east. The avenue was originally built by King Maximilian II of Bavaria in 1850 and named in his honour. King Maximilian II appointed Friedrich Bürklein as the leading architect for the entire avenue. From 1851 Bürklein was the chief architect of the royal Maximilianstrasse with all its state buildings including the Maximilianeum, the palatial building at the eastern edge of Maximilanstrasse.

The Bürkleinbau, a building of singular architectural excellence, was constructed in the second half of the nineteenth century by Bürklein, in the centre of Maximilianstrasse, between the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski and the National Theatre in 2003, the Bürkleinbau was completely rebuilt, retaining
Bürklein’s characteristic architectural style.

Maximilianstrasse is one of the few retail streets in Europe to be influenced by a single architect and today retains the impressive character of the original design. It has become famous for its galleries, designer shops, luxury boutiques, jewellery stores, and one of Munich’s foremost five-star hotels.